Sunday 18 August 2013

5 Easy Tips on How to Prevent Knee Injuries from Running

While I was at the physiotherapy session the other day, I have been wondering when the heck my knee will stop hurting and I will be able to jump and run again. The last two and a half months have been not a joke since I am not able to fully use my knee after my last run - I cannot jump and run and I surely cannot kneel down or bend it. 



It turns out that joint, and especially knee injuries, are pretty famous among runners - no matter if they are amateur or not. "The runner's knee", as they call it, appears as pain underneath the kneecap. It first occurs during the run, but later the pain starts to appear in different daily activities. This is why I decided to write these tips about prevention from such long-lasting injuries because they can cause significant discomfort in your life. 


Tip #1: Choose softer surfaces

When you go for a run/jog, look for a park in your area. Asphalt is okay but it is highly recommendable that you do not run on a concrete. A sandy track is probably the best option since it is not too soft or too hard.So have this in mind when you are choosing your route. The beach may also not be the best place since the sand is sometimes too soft and can result in ankle pain because of that.

Tip #2: Mind the preparation

Your preparation is very important. And I am not talking about only the stretching. I am also talking about the general, regular conditioning of your body. You might really like running and hate hitting the gym or doing other exercises, but their crucial for your joints to be able to keep it up and, for you, to become better and run faster and longer distances. To support your joints, you need to strengthen the muscles around them. In my case, since I had a knee injury (which is also the most common one), I had to work on my quadriceps, adductor, abductors and hamstrings. Exercises that help you strengthen those muscles are:

  • Squats
  • Hamstring stretch
  • Straight leg raise
  • Side leg raise
  • Stretching before and after the run
Include these exercises in your workout routines at least twice a week. While getting stronger, you should start including weights in the workout. Follow the routines that you can find on this blog to advance in your conditioning and achieve better results on the track. 

Tip #3: Keep the correct form

Make sure you keep the right form during the run. Your upper body should be leaning slightly forward, being above your front leg. If your torso is absolutely straight, your heels will be serving as breaks and your knees as shock absorbers and this will put a lot of pressure on the joints. When you are landing, your knees should be slightly bent and the landing should be soft. 

Tip #4: Listen to your body!!!

This is the mistake I made. In the second or third month after I started running, I was trying to run more than my body could take. Every time I wanted to run at least 0.1 km more than the last time. So, listen to your body instead of trying to prove yourself how good you are! It is okay if today you run 7 km and tomorrow you feel tired on the 4th. Maybe today your body is not well prepared for one reason or another - it can be the food that you (did not) ate before that, the intensity of the daily activities, etc. Better take a smaller step back today, then having to stop running for a long period like I am doing right now.  Push your limits, but listen to your body!

Tip #5: Choose the proper shoe

There are numerous types/models of running shoes on the market. There are models particularly designed for running. It does not need to be an expensive model, but you should definitely not go for the old worn out shoes you have in the closet. Worn out shoes will have an effect on the landing and will cause more stress for the joints. Choose those shoes that you feel suit your feet. Personally, I like like to have just half size bigger than the rest of my shoes. 


If you know some more useful tips on how to prevent such injuries, please, feel free to share them


Enjoy your run!



Sources:

http://www.posetech.com/training/archives/000574.html
http://beta.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Prevent-Knee-Injury-and-Pain
http://running.about.com/od/injuryprevention/ht/preventinjury.htm

No comments :

Post a Comment